Look at this picture of a unborn baby. Its young, sweet and innocent. Just looking at it make me feel happy. It puts a smile on my face. I can’t help but be in awe of the miracle of procreation. The Awesome power that God gave us to provide body’s for all his children. Now image this same child being viciously torn limb from limb while still alive all because the mother does not wish to have this baby.
A story I was once told goes something like this. A woman walked into a doctors office one day and told the doctor that she was pregnant and wanted an abortion. The doctor asked her if this was her first child. She had responded no I have a son. He is only about 2 years old. The doctor said well since you only want one child why don’t we just take your 2 year old son and kill him. That way the baby you have now will be your only child. The woman naturally appalled and quite offended that the doctor would suggest such a thing said “absolutely not how could you say such a thing” the Doctor asked her “how is your unborn child’s life any less valuable than your sons life”. She had no answer for him. The doctor refused to abort the baby.
Before we get to far into this issue of the sanctity of life I wish to state that I fully support and believe in a woman’s reproductive right. she has the right to choose to be a mother or not to be a mother. And I know that the Issue of abortion is a controversial subject and I fully expect that the haters will come out of the woodwork while reading this. I fully expect that name calling and hateful things will be said about me on this post as well.
We were given our lives by God. It is the greatest gift, Next to the atonement of Christ that has been given to us. And yet we allow the senseless slaughter of millions of innocent lives throughout the world. We wilfully allow the murder of children by the thousands in our country alone. This atrocity continues and it seems no one in our government has the strength, will power or morals to step up and stop this senseless slaughter of thousands of innocent children. Much of these “unwanted children” could of been prevented. according to stats (unconfirmed but from what I understand) only 1-2 percent of abortions are the result of rape related pregnancy.
According to http://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Abortion_e.htm it is estimate that 40% of pregnancy in Canada are unwanted and approximately 100,000 abortions are performed each year in Canada. If the stats are correct that I have heard and only 2% of abortions are related to rape, even if we inflate the number to 4% to cover high risk to mother (meaning potentially life threatening), that means that 96,000 children are murdered and viciously killed each year in this country as a means of birth control. With the abundant availability of birth control why are we still using abortion as a method of birth control?
A woman has the right to be a mother or choose not to be a mother. What she does not have the right to is to choose whether or not her child lives. according to
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248 only 5% of pregnancy are the result of rape. In other words 95% of the time a woman gets pregnant she is choosing to to engage in sexual intercourse knowing full well that the potential result is pregnancy. She has made a choice regarding her reproductive rights.
The interesting aspect of all of this is that a man essentially has no reproductive rights at all. A man has no ability to choose weather or not a he will be a father after getting his girlfriend or wife pregnant. He cannot say “since I am not ready to be a father I abdicate all responsibility for this child”. Should any man says so he would be forced via the courts to provide child support for this child he did not want. A woman on the other hand up to the point of birth can have the child aborted in many areas. In Canada its up to 20 weeks as far as I understand. Should a man not have the same options to say up to the legal gestation period whether that is up to the point of birth or whatever the legally set amount of weeks abortion is legal, should he not have the same right to opt out of being a father. In our society a man would be looked down on, mocked, scolded, and persecuted if he did so, A woman on the other hand is praised and supported, loved and honored for choosing to end her pregnancy and murder her child with or without the fathers consent. Cries of its my body and thus my rights are often heard among those who call themselves pro choice. But pro choice only applies to woman, men have no choice.
When all is said and done a woman has a choice of what to do to her own body she does not have the moral authority to choose what to do with someone Else’s body. Even if that body is growing in her womb. The body of her child is not hers to do with as she pleases.
Russell M Nelson of the 12 apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has said in the October 2008 ensign “we deplore the loss of life associated with warfare. The data are appalling. In World War I, more than 8 million military fatalities occurred. In World War II, more than 22 million servicemen and women died. 2 Together, these two wars, covering portions of 14 years, cost the lives of at least 30 million soldiers worldwide. That figure does not include the millions of civilian casualties.
These data, however, are dwarfed by the toll of another war that claims more casualties annually than did World War I and World War II combined. Worldwide reports indicate that more than 40 million abortions are performed per year. 3
This war called abortion is a war on the defenseless and the voiceless. It is a war on the unborn. This war is being waged globally. Ironically, civilized societies that have generally placed safeguards on human life have now passed laws that sanction this practice.” (http://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/10/abortion-an-assault-on-the-defenseless)
Many of these children are conceived because of the morals of man. Promiscuity, and sexual activity outside of marriage. These children are conceived out of falsified and evil notions that there should not be any consequences for sinful and lustful behavior. Sexual activity results in pregnancy and to run for the consequences of your choices is wrong. This applies to both men and women. If you do not want to be a parent there is a really easy and simple solution. Don’t have sex. period. There really is no other way to simplify it any more than that. We all have reproductive rights. We can all choose to have children or not. With that free agency it is imperative that we understand the consequences of our choices. We must understand that the choices we make will have consequences. If you are not prepared to deal with those consequences then you must make the choice that will avoid those consequences.
Our 3rd daughter was a surprise and unexpected. We wanted another baby but not for a few more years. While I Can’t speak for my wife I can honestly say that I was feeling completely unprepared and my first thought was I am not ready for this. I am not prepared for this. How easy it would of been for us to have an abortion and not worry about it. We could of moved on without ever having to deal with an unexpected pregnancy that we were not prepared for. However the very thought of such an action is appalling. We could not of avoided the eternal consequences for the murder of one of Gods children. Can you honestly tell me that in the last day when you are reunited with all of your loved ones beyond the veil, could you stand there and face the spirit of the child you murdered when they ask you “why did you do it, why did you deny me and opportunity at life”. Could you stand and face God when he asks you “why did you murder one of my children for your convenience”
All life is sacred and there are numerous options available for mothers who do not want, or cannot take care of a child from a unwanted pregnancy. Many years ago a good friend of mine got pregnant. Still a teenage girl she was not prepared to raise a child and take care of her son. Abortion of course would of been the easiest and simplest solution to her problem. The father of her baby was not a man who would be a good role model but rather was involved or at least associated with gang members and the drug culture. Ultimately her choice was to give her son up for adoption rather than abortion. This was the right choice for both herself and her son. Her son who had not fault in my friends choice to have sex, was given the opportunity for life. My friend was able to move on and know that her son was being well cared for. Both are living happy and productive lives now without the stinging remorse of guilt that would of accompanied a decision to abort the pregnancy.
Agency’s have been set up to assist women overcome their guilt after having an abortions. This is because of the sever depression that a woman experiences after killing her unborn baby. The symptoms of this choice can cover at least 32 different issues. (http://abortionrecovery.ca/PostAbortionGrief/tabid/58/Default.aspx)
- Generalized Guilt
- Generalized Anxiety
- Denial and Repression: The ‘pushing down’ of intolerable emotions surrounding the abortion.
- Psychological Numbing: A diminishing ability to experience emotions of any kind
- Depression: Generalized feelings of hopelessness.
- Regret and Remorse: Regarding the abortion experience.
- Flashbacks: To the abortion episode.
- Specific or nonspecific sense of Grief and Loss
- Anger: Specifically towards those who helped make the abortion decision.
- Change in Relationship with the boyfriend or husband: Particularly if he was involved during the abortion experience.
- Disruption in Interpersonal Relationships: Increasing inability to be intimate and disclosing with friends.
- Psychosexual Disorder
- Avoidance Behaviours: Avoiding any person or situation (pregnant friends, infants, vaginal exams, etc.), that could trigger re-experiencing the abortion experience.
- Suicidal Ideation and Attempts
- Survival Guilt: Often leading to an unrealistic ‘compensation mode’ mentality.
- Sudden and Uncontrollable Crying Episodes: The source of which may be a mystery to the woman.
- Surprise at the Intensity of Reaction: To the abortion experience.
- Feelings of Helplessness and Powerlessness: A sense of panic over being ‘out of control’.
- Deterioration of Self-Concept: Inconsolable feelings of unworthiness.
- Nightmares: Usually involving themes of lost, dismembered, or crying babies.
- Hyper-alertness: Exaggerated physical responses to environmental cues, which may be somewhat reminiscent of the abortion experience (e.g. sound of vacuum cleaner).
- Preoccupation with Becoming Pregnant Again: The subsequent pregnancy becoming a replacement for the aborted baby.
- Anxiety over Infertility: Fear that God will punish by preventing future pregnancies.
- Interruption of the Bonding Process in Present or Future Children: Overly invested in being the perfect mother, or an altered value attached to the child, or children, who were ‘allowed’ to live.
- Reaction Formation: Usually expressed by an overly zealous involvement in pro-life / pro-choice issues.
- Disturbance in Sleep Patterns
- Development of Eating Disorders: Weight loss or gain associated with feeling unattractive, thus helping to insure against a possible future pregnancy, or anorexia leading to your period stopping, also preventing a future pregnancy.
- Alcohol or Substance Abuse: Begun as self-medication for the purpose of dulling painful emotions.
- Anniversary Syndrome: An increase of symptoms occurring around the anniversary of the abortion or due date of the aborted baby.
- Inappropriate Preoccupation with Physical Symptoms
- Phantom Child Syndrome: Fetal fantasies
- Brief Psychosis: Loss of reality lasting for a period of a few days
This list shows some rather serious emotional and possibly physical consequences to abortion and yet It does not even begin to touch on the eternal consequences of such a choice.
There is only 1 possible solution to this epidemic. We must return to God. We must return to the morals and ethics of modesty and chastity. This is the only way that we can prevent unwanted pregnancy or at least reduce it by a substantial amount. It is the only way we can truly have planned parenthood. It is the only way that we can progress as a society. Instead of killing children lets make sure we are only creating the children we want in the first place. We all have reproductive rights and we all have the right to life. Even the unborn.